My email address isn’t recognized. Can I still sign up?
ResearchGate is a professional network where scientists and researchers can share and access scientific output, knowledge, and expertise. We ask that you sign up with your institutional email address so that we can verify that you are a researcher – you can always change it after sign-up.
If you have an institutional email address that we don’t recognize, please follow the normal registration procedure to request an account. The request will be processed manually so can take a short while.
If you’re a published researcher but don’t have an institutional email address, we’re happy to look into your account request manually. Please give us a detailed description of your present and past institutional affiliations, field of research and publications - preferably with supporting links here. Please send all relevant information in your initial message, otherwise your request could be delayed or even rejected.
I haven't received the email confirmation?
If you haven’t received your email confirmation within 24 hours you can try the following options:
- Make sure the email did not end up in your junk mail folder
- Some email clients have an automatic filtering option where emails can be sent to different types of folders and are easily hidden
- Add ResearchGate to your address book. Find out more
- Contact your email administrator to ensure all emails from @researchgate.net or @researchgatemail.net can be received. For more information on how to do this, see Managing your email settings.
Once you’ve tried all of the above options, you can request another activation email here:
Contact us. Under Didn't find what you were looking for in the help center? select the option I would like to receive the account activation email again. Please fill in your email address, and click Send activation email. You should receive a new activation email within 5 minutes. If you have requested the confirmation email multiple times, please note only the latest link will be active
- If you've tried all of these options and still haven't received the email, please Contact us.
My account request has been rejected
If your account request has been unsuccessful, this means that we are having trouble confirming that you are a researcher. ResearchGate is a professional network for researchers, which means that membership is reserved for those who are involved in scientific research. If you feel your membership request was denied by mistake, you can help us process your membership request again by providing more information. Here are a few examples of what we consider as proof of research:
-Authoring a scientific or academic publication(s)
-Presenting at a scientific conference
-Being registered as the inventor of a patent
-Involvement in a research project
-Involvement in commercial R&D
-A scanned copy of your student or academic ID, or PhD enrollment certificate
Please do not send a CV.
Alternatively, you could ask a colleague who already has a ResearchGate account to send us a message on your behalf using the Contact form, quoting the email address you signed up with.
Changing your login email address
It is possible to use a deactivated email address to log into your ResearchGate account as long as you can remember the password. This is how you can change the email address associated with your ResearchGate account:
1. Log in to ResearchGate using your current login email address
2. Click the arrow at the top right-hand side of any page
3. Click Settings, and then Account Settings
4. Under Email address, click Add additional email
5. Type in the email address you want to use as your login
6. Click Save
7. A confirmation email will be sent to your new email address. Click the link in this email to complete the verification process. If you encounter an error message "Oops! We couldn't find that token in our database", please make sure you are using the link in the latest email, as all previous links are invalidated. Check your spam folder and filters if you can't find any others
8. Then go back to your Account Settings
9. Click the Set as primary button next to the email address you've just added to make it the primary email address for your ResearchGate account.
I typed my email address incorrectly
If you have signed up with an incorrect email address, please sign up again with the correct email address. We cannot change the email address associated with your signup. You may need to clear your cookies in order to signup again.
The link in my email doesn't work
Links in emails can often be blocked by the security settings of your email client, such as Outlook or Apple Mail. Normally, there is an option at the top of the email to allow links or pictures from this address. If there isn't, there is most likely a security setting that must be changed in your email client.
We also suggest that you add ResearchGate to your address book, which would prevent this from happening in the future. You can find out how to do this here: Email Instructions
As a workaround, you can also forward the email to any other email account you own which is not experiencing this issue, and click on the link there.