Managing your email settings
Our emails are designed to keep you updated about what’s happening in your personal network on ResearchGate. They also inform you when other researchers take an active interest in your publications or respond to a question you've asked.
Follow these steps to customize your emails:
- Go to your Email settings
- Check the boxes next to the emails you want to receive.
Note: If you unsubscribe from all emails, you may still receive reset emails when you forget your password . You may also receive or other administrative communications, such as an email notification when your RG Score is activated (this occurs only once).
Why am I still receiving emails after I clicked 'unsubscribe' in an email?
Clicking on unsubscribe in an email will only unsubscribe you from that particular email type. If you want to unsubscribe from other types of emails, you must log in to ResearchGate and follow these steps:
- Go to your Email settings
- Unsubscribe from all email types or email categories that aren't relevant to you by unchecking the relevant boxes.
Changing your login email address
It is possible to use a deactivated email address to log into your ResearchGate account as long as you can remember the password. This is how you can change the email address associated with your ResearchGate account:
1. Log in to ResearchGate using your current login email address
2. Click the arrow at the top right-hand side of any page
3. Click Settings
4. Under Email address, click Add additional email
5. Type in the email address you want to use as your login
6. Enter your password and click Add
7. A confirmation email will be sent to your new email address. Click the link in this email to complete the verification process. If you encounter an error message "Oops! We couldn't find that token in our database", please make sure you are using the link in the latest email, as all previous links are invalidated. Check your spam folder and filters if you can't find any others.
8. Then go back to your Account Settings
9. Select Set as primary next to the email address you've just added to make it the primary email address for your ResearchGate account. This is now the email address you'll use when next logging into ResearchGate.
Can I use multiple email addresses on ResearchGate?
Yes! Once you've signed up with your institutional email address you can add an additional email. You can do this by going to your Account Settings page and following the steps above.
We send you notification emails from researchgatemail.net and researchgate.net. If you receive ResearchGate emails from any other address, don’t open the email or click on any links.
Why am I not receiving the email confirmation?
If you haven’t received your email confirmation within 24 hours you can try the following options:
How can I ensure I receive ResearchGate emails?
To keep receiving important updates and emails from us, please add email@example.com to your safe senders list or whitelist. Learn more.
You can learn more about the promotional emails we send here.
If you have not been able to receive emails from us for a prolonged period of time, we now require that you add a working alternative email address to your account. The only way to access your account is to provide a new email address at which you can be reached. If you don’t want to receive certain updates from us anymore, you can edit your email settings.
Can I log into ResearchGate if I no longer have access to my email address, and I've forgotten my password?
For security reasons, we are unable to give you access to your account if you cannot remember your password and also do not have access to your email address. If you are unable to access the email address you signed up with, we kindly ask that you sign up again with an active email address.
Once you have signed up successfully again, if you know the login emails for both your old and new accounts, you can merge them quickly and easily. Merging allows you to transfer all your publications (and some related data, such as citations and reads) from your old account to the new account. Your followers, followings, projects and questions cannot be transferred. The old account will then be removed.
Please note: When merging, you must keep the account that you can access.
To merge your accounts:
- Log in to the ResearchGate account you want to keep
- Visit the profile page of your duplicate account
- Select More on the right-hand side of the page and select Report duplicate
- Enter the email addresses associated with both of your accounts and select save.
Your request to merge your accounts will be reviewed and you will receive an email confirmation from us when the merge has been completed.
If you cannot recall both of your login emails, please Contact us for further assistance.
Why does the link in my email not work?
Links in emails can often be blocked by the security settings of your email client, such as Outlook or Apple Mail. Normally, there is an option at the top of the email to allow links or pictures from this address. If there isn't, there is most likely a security setting that must be changed in your email client.
We also suggest that you add ResearchGate to your address book, which would prevent this from happening in the future. You can find out how to do this here: https://www.researchgate.net/application.EmailInstructions.html
As a workaround, you can also forward the email to any other email account you own which is not experiencing this issue, and click on the link there.