Think of your profile as the hub for your research and the contributions you make to ResearchGate, such as questions and answers, and research interests on ResearchGate.
Your profile is broken down into six tabs: your Overview provides a snapshot of your research; Info lists details about your skills and research experience; Research is where you can find your publications, questions, and answers; Stats shows you who is reading and citing your work; your Scores tab is designed to help measure the impact of your research, showing the RG Score and h-index; and Research interests is where you can see all the work you're interested in on ResearchGate, such as publications, questions, and projects.
You can customize your profile by adding a photo, featuring publications, listing your research skills and expertise, and adding information about your For more information about customizing your profile, see Account settings.
To edit your skills and expertise, topics, disciplines and research experience, go to your Info tab and hover over the section that you wish to change. A small pencil icon will appear on the right-hand side. Make the necessary changes and then click Save.
Your Research interests tab is where you can find all the publications, questions, and projects you're following on ResearchGate. It is where you can come back to all the research you're interested in later, and easily manage the content you're keeping track of.
Note: Your interests are public and visible to anyone visiting your profile.
For more information, see Following research.
Duplicate profiles are sometimes created because of the various ways you can sign up to ResearchGate. The best way to fix this is to delete whichever profile is less complete. At this time, there’s no possibility to merge duplicate profiles.
To delete your secondary profile:
- Log in with the email address you used to create your secondary profile
- Go to your Account Settings page
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page
- Click the Delete account button.
If you no longer have access to the old profile, please let us know through the Contact form and provide us with the ResearchGate URLs or email addresses for the duplicate profiles. Also, please specify which link should be kept and which link should be removed.
Please note that we can only transfer the publications to your new account and remove the old one. Profile views, followers, followings and questions will not be transferred.
You can change the name associated with your account in a few easy steps:
- Go to your Profile Settings page
- Click on the Edit name
- Update your name information in the box that appears
- Click Save to confirm your changes.
Note: Due to security reasons you can only change your name three times within a 30-day period.
For more information about changing your account name and adding other names you’ve published under, click here.
Your ResearchGate profile's URL is generated automatically from the name on your profile, so we cannot manually edit it for you. However, If the original account with your name no longer exists, you can reuse this URL by editing your name.
1. Click the arrow in the top right-hand corner of any ResearchGate page.
2. Click Settings
3. Click on the Edit name
4. Update your name information in the dialog box
5. Click Save to confirm your changes.
Please note: Due to security reasons you can only change your name three times within a 30-day period.
- Go to your Account Settings page
- Under Email address, click on Add additional email
- Type in the email address you want to use as your login
- Click Save
- A confirmation email will be sent to your new email address. Click the link in this email to complete the verification process
- Then go back to your Account Settings page.
- Click the Set as primary button next to the email address you've just added to make it the primary email address for your ResearchGate account.
Don’t forget to use this new email address when you next log in to ResearchGate.
- Go to your profile
- Click on the default profile image on the left-hand side
- Choose a photo from Google's image search of your name or click the Upload new photo button to upload one yourself
- Crop your photo as desired and click Save to confirm your changes.
Note: Images must be at least 180x180 pixels and no larger than 4MB. We support *.jpg, *.jpeg, *.gif, or *.png, and we suggest you use a photo that fits into the shape of a square.
Don’t forget: As ResearchGate is a professional network, your profile photo and account should reflect this. Please don’t upload a photo of anyone (or anything) else!
To block someone from following you, simply visit their profile, click on the Info tab, then click on Block researcher in the menu at the bottom right.
Blocking someone means they'll be removed from your list of followers and won't be able to message you or see updates relating to you. They will not be notified of your action against them. However, blocking works both ways, so your contact with them will be limited in the same way.
Please note that it is currently not possible to block co-authors completely. Any updates concerning your shared publications will not be blocked.
More information on Reporting content on ResearchGate